Author Topic: Pilgrim Bulldog type??  (Read 7792 times)

Ayala

• Veteran
    • Ayala
Pilgrim Bulldog type??
« on: December 03, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
Hi
this red Pilgrim Bulldog is for sale in Belgium.
can you pls tell me the type of Pilgrim Bulldog this is?
Engine is Ford OHC 2.0 Lt
Is it possible to find the registration doc in the UK?
there are no documents (lost) of the car
so only for spare parts? or other solution?
The black Pilgrim is my pilgrim Bulldog.
Large pics:
http://ayala.guytoelen.be/#8.0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:05:43 PM by Ayala »

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
Re: Pilgrim Bulldog type??
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:29:14 PM »
It's a Mk2 Bulldog, same as mine. THe doors and grill shape give the MK2 away!
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

Ayala

• Veteran
    • Ayala
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
Hi
thx for replay but
can you comfirm that this is a Pilgrim Bulldog MK 2 based on ............(frame or chassis) and powered with a  Ford 2.0 Lt engine?
the Pict of the engine is deffenate a Ford OHC (Pinto).
I have read here on the Forum that a MK 2 is based on a Morris Marina?
Its not so easy to find out with type en based on the different types of donorcar the Pilgrims are.
I am interested in this car, but i can't find more info about it.

Regards

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:56:44 AM »
OK in that case it is a Mk two and a half. The Mk2 was, as you say built on the Marina running gear, however there was some development work done at the time at Pilgrim as they wanted to move to the Cortina running gear. I have heard of a few Mk2's with Pinto engines and Marina suspension, and also of Mk2's with Pinto engines and also Ford suspension. Also to throw into the equation are that builders at the time might well have taken a Mk2 designed for the Marina running gear and adapted it themselves to take Ford bits. To add to the mix, there is also one Lada based Bulldog out there somewhere, as well as Rover V8 ones!
However, the body is definately a Mk2 - I cannot see from the pictures what suspension is underneath, but whether it is Marina or Cortina only means that someone, somewhere, when it was built or any time after that, saw fit to change it to their preference. I have never heard of or seen a Mk3 body with Mk2 style doors - from the Mk3 the doors were bigger with a straight leading edge and were hinged in line with the windscreen. If it is a one-off Mk3 body, or a widened Mk2 bodyshell you will only be able to tell from the overall width of the tub - the Mk3 was about 6 inches wider than the Mk2.
Hope this helps - there is nothing that you can really take for granted when dealing with kit cars because everything is a variable!
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.