Author Topic: Bulldog steering column  (Read 3074 times)

allywh

Bulldog steering column
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
The car is a 1.8 marina based mark 2 Bulldog.
The mot advisory was steering column bushes.
While removing the steering column I noticed that the outer column was not bolted to the original holes in the metal plate bonded into the fibreglass body.  The column was moved up by being bolted to a plywood spacer which was attached to the steel plate via a new set of holes.
I noticed that the bottom set of holes on the steel plate could not be used as the lower steering column shaft would appear to be too long and covers them.
The length of the lower column shaft from the steering rack to the rubber joint is 28".
Thanks to Ian I received a copy of the build manual CD which states that the marina lower column needs to be lengthened.  Could somebody tell me what length  the Pilgrim factory altered  lower steering column shaft was.
I will guess that it is a non standard installation as if the original holes could be used the lower shaft would also foul the hole in the bulkhead.
Any info on steering column fixing would be welcome.

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
Re: Bulldog steering column
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »
You are right - the steering column linkage would have been extended - the original part was about 9 inches long and was extended to about 3ft - I have a spare in my garage and if I get a chance I will measure it for you.
The trouble with kit cars is that everybody builds them differently to their own requirements - many in order to use the steering column lock or to make the steering wheel a bit nearer the driver. On my Hawthorn (same as the Bulldog chassis) the original buyer had made up a dog-leg extension using a couple of UJ's and a bearing to support the new routing through the bulkhead.
The original routing can also go very close to the pedal box and the clutch master cylinder, which is an extremely good reason to work out something different - putting in a dog-leg also makes the car a lot safer in the event of an accident.
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

allywh

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »
Thanks for the info
The extra UV joints idea sounds interesting. I assume that it is safer in an accident because the UV joints will hinge and move before pushing on the upper column. 
For now I will reassemble the column as it was built and consider adding the UV joint.
A bonus of taking the column apart was finding that the reason the indicators did not self cancel was due to the after market steering wheel  boss not having the necessary cutouts.

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:41:43 AM »
I am trying to put a picture of the double jointed steering connection for you....... Hopefully all will be clear!
Ian
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.