Author Topic: Looking for TFE395R  (Read 6887 times)

andystev

• Pilgrim
Looking for TFE395R
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:09 AM »
Good morning all,

I know it's going to be a long shot, but I'm trying to hunt down my Dad's old car. He built a Bulldog Mk1 back around 1985/6. Based on a Marina it kept the Donor plates that I think are TFE395R. I've a picture where you can just make out the plate.

He sold it not long after completion, it was more about the building for Dad, I think to a retired military man.

If anyone, miraculously, knows this car; or has any history; or knows how else I might go about tracing it, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Andy Stevenson
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:57:41 PM by andystev »
Andy Stevenson

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
Re: Looking for JFE395T
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.
This is a familiar old story, and the DVLA website will tell you whether the registration number is still "active" and whether the car is taxed or SORN'd. Unfortunately if the tax lapsed before the SORN system came in, the car could well have been scrapped. Sorry I cannot give you the exact address but you will have to do a bit of searching! www.dvla.gov.uk will get you started. You have to know the make and model that the car was registered, so try both Pilgrim and Morris just in case the registration was not changed correctly. If the car kept the original registration this might well be the case.
On a purely observational note, there are not many Mk1's active that I have seen over the last few years, but you never know, somebody might come up trumps.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:00:26 AM by istreatf »
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

andystev

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »
Hi Ian

Thanks for the reply.

No joy at the DVLA I'm afraid. I suspect it may have been scrapped or possibly rebuilt & re-registered?

I'm hoping to at least trace the history. It would be great to actually find it, but I'm not /that/ hopeful :)

Cheers
Andy Stevenson

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:14:21 PM »
The problem with the DVLA programme is that it needs precisely the correct make and model car and registration number when you are searching the site, and it could have been registered as a Pilgrim Bulldog, Pilgrim, Pilgrim Roadster, Pilgrim Bulldog Roadster, Pilgrim Convertable etc etc, and also it stiill might be a Marina (Saloon, Coupe, Convertable etc etc) so the chances of finding it on there without having the V5 in front of you are not 100%.
I have not heard of many Bulldogs that have been scrapped, so I will tell you precisely where the car is. It is in somebody's garage having not moved for the last 15 years or so, with the intention of "restoring it again for the road next year". Send a couple of emails or letters out to the Kit Car magazines and you might find your lost treasure - you might even be able to buy it back for a song.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

andystev

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
Hi Ian

Send a couple of emails or letters out to the Kit Car magazines and you might find your lost treasure

That's a great idea! What are the main magazines these days?

Cheers
Andy Stevenson

pccthebreed

• Global Moderator
  • Breeder
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:40:31 PM »
Hi Andy,
Contact Ian Stent at Complete Kit Car Magazine he's usually a very helpfull guy.
Keith
Keith Barnes

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
Ian Stent's email address is ian@performancepublishing.co.uk
I would suggest Kit Car Magazine as well - kitcarman@ntlworld.com - that is the email address of Den Tanner, current owner of Pilgrim Cars and Kit Car Magazine, and he is also a contributor to this website on occasions.

pccthebreed

• Global Moderator
  • Breeder
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:08:46 PM »
Andy,
I've had a quick look at our database which dates back to 1993 and I can tell you that the registration number you are looking for does not appear among the 1600 or so numbers that are listed. I will search by name as some members did not list their registration numbers. A bit more info on your dad might shake the old grey matter into action for some of our older members and if you could post a picture of him that might also help.
Keith
Keith Barnes

andystev

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »
Hi Keith

I've had a quick look at our database which dates back to 1993

Thank you, much appriciated. Although the car would have long since been sold in 1993, I recall he didn't drive it for much more than a year.

If you can find his name: Ivan Stevenson, lived near Lincoln. I'll try to dig out a picture.

Cheers
Andy Stevenson

andystev

• Pilgrim
Re: Looking for TFE395R
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 11:51:34 PM »
Update

Some concentrated staring at the photo & playing with variations in the DVLA search has found TFE395R registered as a Pilgrim Bulldog, with a current licence.

I'm 99% sure this is the car I'm looking for. Does it ring bells with anyone?

Cheers
Andy Stevenson

pccthebreed

• Global Moderator
  • Breeder
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »
Some good news Andy. I have found a record of the car on our database.  I have it being owned by two different people since 1994. One owner was a member from 1994 - 1996 and the latest one was a member from 2000 - 2003. I have phoned the last known owner and left a message on his answerphone and hopefully he will call me back. Obviously I cannot disclose information held on our database without permission but if he contacts me and he still has the car I will ask him if I can give you his contact details. Looking a bit more promising.
Keith
Keith Barnes

andystev

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »
Hi Keith

That's fantastic news! Thank you so much for your efforts.

Fingers crossed :)

Cheers
Andy Stevenson

andystev

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »
Update

£3.95 of my hard earned spent on mycarcheck.com reveals the car is on it's 12th owner and last changed hands in August 2008.

Keith: I suspect this means the owner you had up to 2003 no longer has the car. I would still be interested in contact though, if he's willing.

Cheers

Andy
Andy Stevenson

pccthebreed

• Global Moderator
  • Breeder
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »
It was last heard of in the East Anglia area but of course if it was sold on ebay it could be anywhere now although it seems to have spent much of its life up the east side.
Keith Barnes

andystev

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 09:58:49 PM »
Ok Thanks Keith, that makes sense.

I'm going to try for a short article in the magazines.

Then maybe I'll have to get off the PC and head for some shows this year.

Cheers

Andy
Andy Stevenson