Author Topic: Motor sport in your Pilgrim  (Read 4180 times)

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
Motor sport in your Pilgrim
« on: June 29, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »
I have just returned from a day's Motor Sport with another car club, competing in an old MGB GT on a shared drive. The event was a "Solo" event, which means that your car has to be MOT'd, Taxed and insured, and the event is simply driving around a huge, flat concrete area around Cones, marked with arrows to define the route. No reversing into garages, no fancy handbrake turns unless you really want to show off, no damage to your car, and the only thing is you might find that your tyres don't last quite as long as they did. Held in an old parade ground in Aldershot, and organised by the Farnborough District Motor Club, the day was just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. And I really enjoy swimming. As with all competition motor sport, cars are divided up into classes, and we in kit cars are up against Caterhams generally, however, regardless of the competition, I have not had as much enjoyment in one day with a car for a long, long time.
I have the means to get the Pilgrim Car Club invited to any of the FDMC events, or associated events shared with other clubs, and for £30, (the entry fee for today's event), you have the opportunity to compete in a well organised, well supported event in a club whose members are hospitable in the extreme (like ours).
I am pleading to the members of the PCC, or indeed anyone reading this post, to GET INVOLVED. Call me, email me, answer this post, or go on the FDMC website direct if you are not a member and want to go alone, but let us see if we can get a Team Pilgrim with 2 or more Pilgrim Cars to compete. You cannot tell me that a Sumo cannot beat a Caterham? But it's not about beating everyone - I came third from last in my very first event in a strange car that I had never driven before, in an event that really needs a mind that can remember a course. Mine cannot, but I still enjoyed the day.
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

Dixon Jones

• Administrator
  • Breeder
  • My Bulldog
    • Hemstone.com
Re: Motor sport in your Pilgrim
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »
Seriosly - I WOULD love to join... but my 1988 Bulldog is gonna get creamed against a Caterham. There look to be a Cobra kit which MIGHT be a Sumo with a chevrolet engine on sale in a garage down the road, but them the £30 becomes £8,000.

But drag me where you will... Maybe I can win the style wooden spoon?
Follow "PilgrimDriver" of Twitter at http://twitter.com/PilgrimDriver.

John dee

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »
Hi Ian
I fancy a go at anything motor sporty as you know.  I have two probs. It aint a pilgrim and the back end is almost a foot wider than the front, which may cause injuries to many many cones. But subject to availability around my somewhat random job I would love to give it a go. Keep me informed
John Dee
He who dies with the most toys wins!

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:43:04 PM »
Guys - it's not about being "creamed" - the other competitors know who they are really racing against, and generally that means an individual/s or car/s in a different class. Agreed there is no way that a Bulldog is going to be competative against a race prepared V8 Caterham with an experienced autotest driver. It's for the fun of it. There is an event on the 30th August, more details to follow, but two of the events clash with Stafford and Exeter kit car shows which I will in all probablility go to, so they are out. The last one is the "Almost boxing day" event which might be a real hoot. At least it will mean our engines stay cool! Don't forget that you can share a car for the day if you can find someone else who wants to compete. They were talking about trailering neighbours cars to compete in! Just think, if one of your neighbours has a MOT failure wreck in the front garden that has been there a few months, why not buy it off them for £25, trailer from ebay for £100 and go racing? Mini or Volvo, it doesn't matter. It just does not get any cheaper.
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.