Author Topic: vin/chassis number..  (Read 4326 times)

alex1234

vin/chassis number..
« on: May 26, 2009, 03:02:11 PM »
help ! can anybody tell me where the vin number might be on my marina based pilgrim
i have found the engine number o.k but not the vin ...
alex.

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
Re: vin/chassis number..
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »
It could be anywherre or indeed not anywhere at all. If it is a very old one, it may not even have a vin plate. It might have the vin number, or rather a chassis number, stamped on the chassis somewhere, but if it is an old one then the builder could have put it anywhere. Generally they are stamped on the chassis somewhere at the front of the car. Until recently there has not been any regulation about where they should be stamped, what size the letters should be and what other information should be included. If you cannot find a vin plate, you can make your own, and also stamp the number on a visible chassis member at the front of the car.
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

Robin

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »
My MK5 bulldog had a plate supplied by Pilgrim onto which I stamped the Vin No - given to me by the vehicle inspector following completion of the car - and onto the chassis by the front wheel.  That must have been about 10 years ago. Don't know if this is of any help?

Robin
Robin

alex1234

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »
thanks istreat , if i look on the registration certificate it tells me its there,along with
the engine number,but i can't find it! the dvla just wrote to me telling me numbers dont match up.
when i look at the mot  cert from last week i notice the mot tester has put the engine number where
the vin number should be! and now the dvla want my vin number of my chassis .

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
I had a similar problem a few years ago when the new computerised system came in, and it did not like my chassis number - year of make, a few noughts then 42 (the fortysecond car made by Pilgrim) as it did not have the full 17 characters that they needed. The tester put some more noughts in front of my number and all seems to be well for now!
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

alex1234

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »
hi, i hope i'vd solved the problem as i have just made a new "old" one and fixed it into
engine bay ! sent number off to dvla ..thanks to istreat and robin for coments.