Author Topic: 3000 Camber adjustment, ride height and Suspension Adjustment  (Read 701 times)

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
When I took the car for its MOT in December the garage notice that I was getting wear on the outer tread of my rear wheels.

So  before I get too many more miles on the tyres I decided to rotate the tyres and to look into the cause. Internet searches low tyre pressure was mentioned as a cause of uneven wear, as I stated in an earlier thread I am running about 17PSI to get a better ride so this may be a factor.  However,  I also decided to look at alignment. Using a spirit level I did notice that I had a positive camber on the rear, I could not measure it( cheap gauge on order), I realized that if I lowered the ride height the camber would move towards negative.

Using the locking nut on the shocks I lowered the rear about 15mm and whilst that was not enough to completely remove the positive camber it made a significant difference. I would have gone a bit more but the spring would not be  in full contact when the shock is maximally extended. As I type this I am wondering what is limiting the travel so I will look into that.

Any suggestions/ experience with camber bolts etc would be appreciated.

Regards Jon

simon3000

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
Re: 3000 Camber adjustment, ride height and Suspension Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 08:37:41 PM »
Sorry really can't help here but I'm interested in your findings.i can't remember but was your kit a pilgrim or Haldane? I remember les made adjustable top arms but that was for the front suspension though similar could be fabricated for the rear.kerp us posted with your research

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
Re: 3000 Camber adjustment, ride height and Suspension Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 02:32:38 PM »
Hi Simon,
No new findings yet. I am resonably happy with where it is now, but ideally if I could adjust it a little more that would be great. At some point I will replace the springs for slighly longer weaker ones which would improve the ride and allow me to adjust the car 8-10mm lower. I will take another look at Camber bolts to see if this is an option.

The origin of my car is unclear, I bought it from Pilgrim in 2002. It was part built, they had lost intreret in finishing it, it could have been built by Haldane and they got it with the company assets  or it could have been an demonstrator build by Pilgrim. My tracking does not appear to have any adjustments except by adjusting the height for Camber or Toe for the front wheels.