Author Topic: New Fuel Tank required  (Read 549 times)

jarmezuk

• Pilgrim
New Fuel Tank required
« on: April 22, 2022, 03:10:10 PM »
Hi All,

Ive recently restored my MK2 bulldog (owned since '91) - car runs beautifully but requires a new fuel tank - cant find one anywhere so any suggestions please?

Thanks,

James.

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
Re: New Fuel Tank required
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 11:28:08 PM »
Good Luck with your car. The thing about kit cars is you often have to come up with innovative solutions when it comes to repairs.

I am not that familiar with the bulldog. At the end of the day the fuel tank is just  container to hold fuel, and there are a number of fabricators of custom fuel tanks if you search the internet.  It might be a good idea to go along to Stoneleigh Kit car show, which is coming up soon, and talk with some of the companies there, take some measurements and photos.

If the tank a relatively simple rectangular box it is likely  a custom tank made by or for Pilgrim, or if it has a more complex shape it may have come from the donor?  Do you know if your Bulldog is based on the Morris Marina, I think some later were based on Ford running gear.

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 06:16:27 PM »
Hi James - just another little problem for you to solve to keep the Bulldog on the road! When I was building my Hawthorn (which was based on a modified Bulldog chassis so had similar dimensions) a few years ago it came without a Marina fuel tank, so I just had to do something to solve your very same problem. Then I thought that my Mk2 Bulldog tank was getting on for 40 years old, so it might be a good idea to swap it out for something new. A similar one of course - a rectangular tank as per the pictures below. You might be able to get one at Stoneleigh in which case I would go for the nearest dimensions you can - dimensions  (in inches) roughly 30 x 8 x 10 and i'll have a look through my paperwork to see if I can find out where i bought it from  and the exact dimensions and shape - might have a sloping rear - but you might well like to  have a go at getting one to fit better, have a bigger capacity, or different configuration. As Jon says, an innovative solution that suits you best is what you will have to come up with. You might like to install a slim tank in the original position under the boot floor, for example. The choice is yours - good luck!

Sorry the pics are upside down - uploaded them right side up but displayed upside down - so I edited them to be upside down but still displaying here upside down. DOH. Or should it be DAH? (Do a handstand!)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 11:52:49 PM by istreatf »
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

jarmezuk

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
Thanks All. I’ve been in touch with Chris Weedon Chatman of the Marina Owners Club -  believe they are working at modifying an MGB tank to fit the Marina. Regardless there are a few firms that fix fuel tanks (Guildford Raidiators being one) - might give them a go

James

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 08:16:37 PM »
It sounds like you may have it under control.

If you do end up having to go for a custom tank one of the things to remember is that you need the provision fuel level sender, some of the tanks aimed at the racing marker seem to regard that as an unnecessary luxury. Having to cut your own hole avoiding any baffles is probably something you want to avoid.

Regards Jon