Author Topic: Pilgrim bulldog 93 3.0 V6 Essex  (Read 767 times)

jooster

• Pilgrim
  • Pilgrim Owner
Pilgrim bulldog 93 3.0 V6 Essex
« on: March 13, 2022, 12:29:38 PM »
Hi, im new here and i couldnt find answers for my questions on the forum so i have to add a new topic. I am Polish and I do not speak great English, if I wrote something unruly - Im really sorry

I bought Pilgrim Bulldog with an engine Essex 3.0 V6.
I do not know the full history of the car, the previous owner assured me that the car drives, but it brakes are broken. The engine fired normal. After disassembling it, it turned out that the engine is mounted only on one side.
I could not find information about the 3.0 V6 option, so I do not know if it will drive at all, have you encountered such a vehicle, does it even make sense to start doing it? 

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
Re: Pilgrim bulldog 93 3.0 V6 Essex
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 01:57:15 PM »
Your English is fine so no problem.
I haven’t heard or see a V6 in a bulldog, I know of a v6 in a haldane and the larger tourer.
The normal engine is the marina 4 cylinder, I don’t think it was an option to put a v6 in. I would sort the breaks out with larger and better if possible also mount the engine on both sides. If you are not happy with what is in it I would swap it for something newer to get better fuel economy and easier available spairs.
Ian may have more information.
Nigel
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 11:09:04 PM »
Welcome To the forum

I don't have experience with the Bulldog, but it always seemed like fun vehicle. I don't know when Pilgrim stopped making the Bulldog kit but it I recall seeing it in Magazines in the early 1980s. I always wanted one but I was young and too poor.

As Nigel mentioned the Bulldog was based on many parts from the Morris Marina, which was produced for many years, and later model became the known as the Morris Ital. I imagine the parts for Brakes will be Marina, and will be obtainable reasonably easily, but I could be wrong.

You may want to buy an old Haynes manual for a Marina to look through, but before you spend any money a conversation with Ian would be recommended, he is the resident Bulldog expert on this forum

Its worrying that there is only one mounting point it implies that the Engine swap was not done to the highest standard. I imagine you will need to get creative and weld in an appropriate mounting point. Be careful not to damage your car when welding, as the fibre glass can melt with excess heat.

Assuming its been correctly road registered then you have a good basis for some hobby mechanics and the car is simple and fun.

Regards Jon

PS Just did an internet search Some (probably the later models) used Ford Cortina for the running gear.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 07:42:58 PM by jon3000 »

bill gates

• Pilgrim
  • Pilgrim Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 01:40:54 PM »
The Bulldog started life based on the Marina, but a later incarnation, it was based on the Ford Cortina, which is the one I have. It was indeed possible to fit a Ford Essex V6 into the car. Bespoke mounting brackets were required for fitting the engine to the chassis.
The front suspension will tell you if the chassis is ford or marina based. Ford kits used the Ford wishbones and wheel hubs from the Cortina. Marina cars (correct me if I am wrong) still used trunnion's.
I think the body will also show if it is Ford based, The ford body did not have the fake engine vents on the sides.

Assuming it is Ford, re-con front callipers and new cylinders should not be too hard to find. I'm sure they will be a Ford Cortina owners club somewhere.