Author Topic: E10 vs E5  (Read 181 times)

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
E10 vs E5
« on: October 16, 2021, 10:14:38 AM »
I thought I would start the first new thread after the announcement of the club closure.

What are everyone's thought on E10 vs E5, Clearly avoiding it is the best option but I imagine at some point it may be unavoidable.
I am sure everyone is aware of the issues with rotting the fuel hoses, and I expect to be upgrading my fuel hoses as a minimum.

I have a Pinto Engine. I am wondering about the mechanical fuel pump, does anyone know if there is a mechanical fuel pump which is safe for E10. I am assuming there is a rubber seal which stop petrol entering the sump.

I also have a Weber Carburetor 32/36 which  I may need to address in some way, but at some point I assume Weber will create some guidance for its customers.

Regards Jon

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
Re: E10 vs E5
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 10:30:22 AM »
I’m just going to avoid it completely as both my bulldog and camper would need significant work. I have already upgraded the fuel lines on the bulldog but I have heard so many stories about the E10 plating the insides of old carbs that, true or not, I’m not going to risk. Additives appear to be prohibitively expensive - something like £7-£8 a tankful which sounds to me ridiculous. It’s bad enough living a half mile away from the London ULEZ which neither can enter without paying the daily charges. Thankfully my daily driver is electric.
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 09:20:37 AM »
You could become a chemist in your garage and do this but it’s a bit impractical if you do loads of miles and the garage may stop you taking a large container into the forecourt.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9mLbuUSt-0
As you have said the fuel replacement is expensive.
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 10:17:37 AM »
Ye gods! Even more reason to go electric. How much was that ‘A’ series conversion?
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 09:12:14 PM »
Hi Nigel,

Looks pretty impractical for  car, but might be OK for a Lawn mower or a Generator.

This discussion is reminding me I should drain my 3000's fuel tank for the winter. Where I am in Scotland the premium fuel which I used is still 5% ethanol

Regards Jon

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 11:28:31 AM »
Ok I’ve done about as much research as I can stand on this subject now. It suggests that our old engines will be very happy to use E10 petrol - PROVIDED we upgrade the petrol pipes to ones made for E10, check and/or change the fuel pump, again to one E10 safe, and make sure no water gets into the fuel tank. Stay with E5 without changing anything which is planned to be with us for at least the next 5 years which is intended to be available from the major petrol companies. For E10 - SU carbs seem to be ok although mixture may need adjustment, so Weber’s and other fixed jet carbs may need adjustment to jets and strombergs with their rubber diaphragms will be a problem. It appears that water in petrol tanks with both E10 and E5 petrol turn the petrol slightly acidic.
This is just my understanding of the situation so please take more advice before committing to any decision you may make on running your engine on either fuels.

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 11:48:15 AM »
Re-reading my last post in combination with the youtube videos on ethanol extraction process, something doesn’t add up. If they are using water to extract the ethanol, and water makes the petrol acidic, then, unless absolutely every trace of the water/ethanol mix is removed, which was not the case in every video I’ve bothered to watch, then the remaining petrol will still be ’slightly acidic’?
So, go electric, stay with the only 5% ethanol E5, convert to E10, but drain your petrol tanks (presumably disposing of the drained petrol in a responsible manner) and clean thoroughly annually anyway, the choice is yours.
I’m sticking to E5 and will convert to electric when it becomes financially sensible to do so, and if I’m still sane, financially responsible and fit enough to do it.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
Thanks for your thougts Ian,
Sorry for the delay in my reply I have not checked back here for some time.

I have E5 in at the moment, but I will drain out as much as I can. I think upgrading the fuel lines is a good idea, and it probably about time to change them in any case.

I don't plan an electric conversion myself but I could see the attraction of doing it on myself, but not on my 3000. Currently I am engaged in significant amounts of work on my old Shogun, which failed its MOT, and has become a project vehicle.