Author Topic: New MOT after 11 years!  (Read 445 times)

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
New MOT after 11 years!
« on: December 16, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »
I feel chuffed today. My 3000 passed its MOT today after 11 years off the road, no issues. I had previously had to cancel previous attempts several times once due bad weather but today it passed. The weather is not ideal but with the new top I can go out without a care.!

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
Re: New MOT after 11 years!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 03:46:39 PM »
That’s good well done, hope next year things will be better with shows and be able to get out and about.
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 05:24:48 PM »
Thanks Nigel,

I want to thank you and Simon, for your assistance getting the hood on my car, it was a big part of my getting the car to be usable in Scotland especially this time of year! I plan to use it to go to work tomorrow, not ideal but it will be fun and my daughter has been having car troubles of her own which mean having an extra car is going to be a bonus in the run up to Christmas

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 08:53:13 PM »
Just incase anyone is interested in what needed fixing on a car which sat for 11 years here is my list. I feel smug that I left handbrake off and in gear so at least the brakes were not jammed on. I have another list which is the upgrade list, which is all the things I am doing to make the car better than before, but I don't cover that now.

1) I dumped the fuel as it smelled like varnish and replaced fuel filter
2) Stripped and Cleaned Carb
4) Replaced Timing belt and pulley, the existing belt was a little stretched and timing was bad so engine did not start
4) Fanbelt was changed whilst I was in there.
5) Coolant Leaked due to corrosion in hose joiners, one pinhole the other would not seal against hose
6) I cleaned and checked the operation of Thermostat
7) Flushed the coolant with a garden hose to clean out the crud/ Reverse flushed the heater
8 ) Fan switch Inline Holder corroded, was replaced
9) Fan Thermostatic Switch inoperable and was replaced
10) Clutch seized, cleared  by running until the engine until hot (Thermal Cycle), held down clutch until it became free.
11) HT lead replaced, I got a shock from one, also crimp was bad
12) Sealed Headlamp, one went gassy (and filled with white smoke)
13) Driver Seat Diaphragm was replaced as the original rubber straps lost elasticity
14) One wiper was replaced, it looked fine but on the first rainy day it fell apart
15) Odometer intermittent due to humidity, needs to be dried and conformal coated or replaced
16) Speedometer inductive sensor failed open circuit after a few minutes use. Replaced with new.
17) Fuel Sender Float Replaced it had fuel inside.
18) Fuel Sender Pivot cleaned and lightly lubricated to make it move move more freely
19) Replace Driver Door Seal some splits
20) Paint Chassis to keep rust at bay cover peeled/chipped paint.
21) Replace a few Dash bulbs
22) Remove Immobilizer, it seemed getting increasingly harder to unset, planned to be replaced shortly
23) Must do an oil change urgently ! Was planned for Garage to do that with the MOT but somehow it did no happen.
24) To do choke cable will not stay out, ( I have to hold it out until the car is warm enough), plan to replace it.
25) After 30 miles only bumpy Scottish roads, I developed a clunking from the back, the rear diff bolts had worked loose. I tightened them down and fixed the problem.
26) Tweaked suspension damper settings for smoother ride.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 05:41:13 PM by jon3000 »

simon3000

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 08:30:33 PM »
well done,now time to enjoy it.