Author Topic: 3000 Pinto Exhaust Manifold  (Read 394 times)

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
3000 Pinto Exhaust Manifold
« on: December 04, 2020, 06:19:55 PM »
On my 3000, I have a Pinto 2.0 engine with a custom Pilgrim Exhaust Manifold. I noticed it needs a bit of welding as it has a few cracks.
I plan to get it welded, but I wonder about longer term options.

Being made of welded pipe I imagine it is not as robust as the usual thick castings. The Pinto had many different Exhaust Manifolds, I am wondering if any of the original manifolds could be pursuaded to fit the 3000, obviously the rest of the exhaust is custom but I wonder what others have.

Does anyone know if a 1.6 and a 2 litre Pinto Exhaust manifold have the same fitment? Attached is a photo of a 1.6  Manifold that looks like it might fit within the 3000 engine bay as an example.

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
Re: 3000 Pinto Exhaust Manifold
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »
As the engines are still in use for racing and stuff, I would think pinto manifolds are still around. You could drop Burton power a mail I think they are Ford people they may help.
Nigel
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 07:45:14 PM »
Thanks Nigel,

I know the name but don't know much about them, I just had a look at their website, they do have manifolds for Capri and Sierra, they are pipes rather than the casting.  I wonder if they can be adapted to fit.

You may recall I got the car part built from Pilgrim, it was abandoned project for them, or perhaps they got it like that from Haldane, so whilst I finished the car I did not build it from scratch. I need to look at the build manual carefully because it possibly my car is the one in the build manual . Where the manual stopped is probably where I had to start from.

My existing exhaust came with the car, it get close to the body and after running the engine and seeing how hot the body was getting worried it would catch fire! I constructed a heat shield from Aluminium.  So my concern with the exhaust is that its a tight fit in places

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 03:55:23 PM »
I have a bmw engine in my car, the exhaust does get close to the floor where it comes off the manifold I have used some silver heat shield from one of the car parts supplyers, car solutions I think. It is glued to the bulkhead and seams to work ok. The rest of my exhaust after the manifold is a straight pipe to the back axel then it bends 90deg to the pasingers side where the silencer is behind the rear wheel.
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 05:42:25 PM »
It interesting that we are all so different. I have looked at some of the standard manifolds, I am tempted to buy one to see it it can be adapted

In the last week or so I have been practicing my welding with a MIG,( I think it mild steel), I am not confident enough to tackle my exhaust yet, but  I am getting there. I have a few small cracks, the leaks are small at the moment and did not affect my MOT, but I need to deal with it soon before it get worse.