Author Topic: Seeking Advice on Hoods and Hardtops for the 3000  (Read 2024 times)

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
Re: Seeking Advice on Hoods and Hardtops for the 3000
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 10:16:20 AM »
I found this Bug Eye Top video it seems to be very similar to the style used with the 3000, it has a rear bar and similar frame style.
Rogers frame is more similar to this one than any of the variants of the Healey 3000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrtabZTQ_ns
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:13:23 PM by jon3000 »

simon3000

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 09:20:23 PM »
yup,very similar. Flexible strip in the head rail and a 2 hoop frame

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 11:50:32 PM »
My understanding of the windscreen fixing is where I am struggling. I think all the other aspects are clear, although your thoughts on any aspect would be appreciated as I am still open to changing my approach.

I do not understand about the flexible strip in the head-rail. I will go searching for details of the Frogeye hood parts to see if I can understand what you mean. I did notice in the video he just seems to flip the hood into the rail and it stays there by "magic" . I also wondered about the lift the dots in the post. This part seems to be different to the Healey 3000 hood fixings I have seen and I have watched a few now!

Do I need to fix/insert anything to the cover or does it will just clip into the groove already?

FYI, I intend to use a rail in the rear, I prefer the look and it looks to be fast removal, the cover appears to have features to allow the rail to be installed and to expose the leading edge of the rail on the underside to allow it to fit in the clips. I will post a photo.

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 12:35:47 PM »
It is a straight bar that goes through the hood and the clips are like a flat hook that the bar hooks on across the back, it is better than the lift dot fasteners. I would fit it, works well.
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2020, 07:27:19 PM »
Thanks that great,

I was anticipating something more complex

I assume its the same one as the frogeye sprite, apparently some of the 2 seater 3000 (ie probably BN7) could take the same hood at the frogeye. I could not see the strip one online yet except from the US https://bugeyeguyparts.com/collections/top-and-tonneau-fittings/products/top-bar-set   I don't know if it fits but will look around the UK first I am inclined to make something if I can estimate dims

Looks like I wasted my money buying the "finisher" from AH Spares. It has no retention capabilities however, it matches the curve of the windscreen perfectly well and is about 1/2 inch short of the screen width and pillars (so probably is a perfect fit). I would say that this points strongly to the windscreen being the same glass as a BN7 so if the need should arise in the future we probably have an option.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 11:44:06 PM by jon3000 »

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2020, 08:40:26 PM »
Thanks for the help on and off the forum. Progress is slow. Borrowing from Rogers design I have started with the assumption that the rear hoop is the primary with secondary hoop coming forward. My initial thought was to switch it like many of the Healey frames but for the moment I am going the same way as Roger.  The initial radius with the pipe bender is too tight to fit the cover well so I made the radius with the largest of the 25mm pipe dies, and placing the 16mm tube inside a  larger plastic tube (with cuts in it). It seems a reasonable fit although the radius could probably benefit from being even larger.
I am thinking to fit the turnbuckles in their spot right by the door to fix these points, they are the fixings least open to interpretation and will allow me to get some tension in the cover.

Developing a 3D frame without a reference is very tricky it will take a while.##

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 08:15:41 PM »
Well progress has been slow, and a bit expensive having to order bits based on vague drawings online only to find that they don't quite fit.

I have now removed the boot and the roll bar whilst I work.

As I got closer I get the cover to the final fit I can see that the rear bar I bought for the BN7 is too much curve for the pilgrim cover. So I bought another one, this time for a frogeye which is a better match, it has a long straight section,  It's not a perfect fit (it could do with being a bit longer), but its a better match to the 3000 and it will have to do!

The front strip which is again frogeye is a good fit, it again could be longer, but seem to work well.

I fashioned a wooden pipe bender, a radius of about a foot seems best for the rear hoop. I have made a rear hoop from separate 5 pieces (with the next size up overlapping the join) so as to be able to adjust each section. At the moment each part is held with tape, I plan to braze this ( special aluminium rod)
to give me a good prototype.

I have made a protoype front hoop but now I need to do it again.

Hopefully this weekend will be more productive than the last!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 08:24:46 PM by jon3000 »

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2020, 09:07:20 PM »
Well, I feel I have now made a breakthrough. I have decided at least initially to go for a fixed frame that does not fold down, I now have proper mounting fixed to some hardwood blocks that are screwed in from the wheel arch, and fibre glassed in place. I made tweaks to my prototype rear aluminium hoop which is brazed together and is now an excellent fit.

I still have work to do on the front hoop but I feel I am over the most difficult part. I Will let you know when the job is completed.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 03:57:09 PM »
I have completed my frame, its not perfect, but it looks good enough to use, I had planned on giving it its first outing today at a second attempt for an MOT. However, bad weather and last minute troubles postponed my trip for the MOT.

I had a run of bad luck last night, I got the car back together last night and ran the car for the first time in a few weeks. It sounded rough and did not want to keep going, the also choke cable would not stay out, and HT cable broke when I went to check the plugs! I spotted some leaks in my exhaust manifold. Turns out the fuel gauge was lying and I was out of fuel! With fuel in it ran pretty good. So snow and the rain with a rash of last minute minor problems no MOT today.

I will post a photo when I get a chance, a bit difficult to get a worthwhile photo without daylight with the weather as it is.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 04:00:39 PM by jon3000 »

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »
Here are some photos of the soft top.

I still have to fit the of the Tenax fixings, but I am holding off until I am sure they are in the right place.  At some point I want to change the front hoop to have a larger radius to raise up the centre more, but its is a perfectly usable top and I can now use the car in bad weather.

Thanks everyone for your help

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »
It’s a flat bar that goes in the hood and slides under the clips first. Saves having lots of clips
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 05:33:18 PM »
Thanks Nigel,

I have the bar on the back but I believe it usual to have a two of Tenax fittings each side. They seen optional as it all stays in place as is but in the photo you can see the cover is sitting up at the top of the wings. The fittings would hold it down to hug the body better. Over time I think it is likely to conform to the body with the aid of gravity and some warmer weather.

I will play around more but I have a usable hood/frame which I am very pleased about, I can make it better at my leisure.