Author Topic: Seeking Advice on Hoods and Hardtops for the 3000  (Read 2023 times)

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
Seeking Advice on Hoods and Hardtops for the 3000
« on: October 20, 2020, 11:24:01 PM »
The major outstanding issue for my 3000 is the lack of roof. It was always on my to do list, and will become priority once my current round of tinkering to get it roadworthy are complete. I saw a post about making your own Hardtop about 5 years old but the photos are not accessible to me, is it just me or are they gone?

Perhaps I should go for a soft top hood, but the options seem endless and I am not sure which variant and which of the many parts I would need and how I should fix it to the car.

Can anyone offer some sage advice on this issue.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:22:52 AM by jon3000 »

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
Re: Seeking Advice on Hoods and Hardtops for the 3000
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 11:39:39 PM »
I have a hard top for my 100, it was purchased with the car and I eventually finished it off. I hav also fitted a soft top, this is actually an original, the frame supplied be Southam Healey and the cloth was supplied by a place local to me who supply’s southam with there roofs, it fits very well but not easy to put on. Found it http://www.donhoods.com/
I have a cloth for a 3000 that came from the spares from pilgrim when they got rid of the bits they didn’t want. It doesn’t fit the 100 frame and I don’t know what frame you would need to purchase to fit it.
You can have the cloth if you want I will get some photos and send them if you are interested.
Nigel
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:47:04 PM by Nigel Haldane »
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 12:00:08 AM »
That sounds very interesting. I would like to see a photo. Perhaps I can work out which frame it needs, or perhaps someone else knows about the options.

I am intrigued by what you said, it implied that you can use a hardtop or a softop, I kind of assumed that it once you chose one it ruled out using the other.

I think a soft top might be more practical, as you can take it with you most of the time. However I assume fitting the hard top is very quick so is perhaps a good option.

I was wondering about how it clips on your windscreen and is it  different between variants.

simon3000

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 08:51:40 PM »
jon.nigels frame and head rail is completely different (haldane 100 vs 30000.the pilgrim hood bows supplied for the 3000 are ,to be honest,are complete crap.Rodger (don't know if he's still on here) made his own that folds flat with the hood.might be worth contacting him for photos/info

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 09:01:32 PM »
So many questions raised by your message. Headrail, is that the top of the windscreen? Do you know if the 3000 windscreen is a pilgrim special or Austin Healey, if so which model. Do you have some kind of roof? Nigel is saying he has cloth for the 3000 which does not fit his car, I am assuming it would fit a 3000, I assume it is similar to one of the Healey variants.

PS I stumbled across your youtube 2007 made me smile, look like your windcreen is the same as mine although no guarantees I can't see it well.

FYI when I put on my windscreen in I found that I had inches of gap in the middle, my solution was to cut out the ply wood across the cockpit, cut a new piece of ply and fibre glass it all in place with the middle jacked up, it all came out fine in the end but was a bit of a nightmare at the time.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 10:56:33 PM »
I found this channel on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fesUF8Nz3lw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O-boSNYkGQ

This answered some of my questions,  there is also some stuff in the previous video. After watching this at least I know something about how it works. It all seem somewhat less daunting now. Still concerned I may spend a fortune on the wrong parts!

simon3000

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 11:01:15 PM »
yes.head rail/screen top has a return to fit leading edge of the hood.screen is a bespoke pilgrim item (dont break it,theres none left).no idea about the plywood under the scuttle,mine had nothing,i believe various changes were made over the years,from haldane to den @pilgrim and when tony(whos name i wont mention again)took over.a genuine healey screen may fit but im not sure if the dimensions are slightly different.i believe genuine healey parts fit the h100 shape but are totally different to ours

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 12:16:51 AM »
From your comments I am assuming you have not tackled the roof either. After watching the videos I now understand how the frame fits to a proper 4 seater healey, not sure about 2 seater but I imagine it is similar. Do you know how it was done on our kit?

Its harder to find images of the 2 seater version, but I have seen 2 seater popper rivets further from the boot implying a smaller hood.

This version looked the most similar to our windscreen.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/windscreen-100-6-3000-bn4-bn6-bn7-bt7-1956-58.html

The BN7 is the 2 seater and my current best guess is that its the best place to start looking for hood parts. Moss has BN7 frames, not sure how it would work with the roll bar.

simon3000

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
i think you will find any folding frame will foul the roll bar.my frame is in 2 halves,after removing the hood the frame is removed and the whole lot is stowed in the boot.not ideal but its surprising just how quickly you can put the roof on (especially when its raining)
 ill try and get you some photos when i get a chance

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 10:35:40 PM »
If you can do that it would fantastic, if you can show the frame mount points too that would be good. As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, I have lots of questions which just seeing a few pictures would answer so many questions.

When I first bought my kit I contacted someone, can't recall a name I think Pilgrim gave me his details he lived in Arundal, I went to see his 3000. It was blue of cream. I think he took me for a short ride. We never got on to talking about the soft top I had so many other questions.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:37:32 PM by jon3000 »

Roger 3OOO

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
  • The BIG H
    • Wessex Kit Car Club
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 04:08:15 PM »
Hi Jon,
I've been reading your posts but time & other domestic problems, etc have not permitted me to respond before now.
I managed to construct a folding frame out of ordinary (plumbing) 15mm copper tubing, with hardwood dowel through the two long horizontal pieces, then later spray painted black.  With the mechanism at the point it is attached to the body it lifts over the roll bar.  I managed to get a hood from Pilgrim.
I hope the attached photos give you a clue as to how mine is fitted.
All the best - Roger
I'm unhappy about my carbon footprint - I want a bigger one!

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 07:51:48 PM »
Wow, Roger,

Thanks for making the time, I was really hoping you would turn up as you appear to be the most experienced in this area, I'm impressed by the ingenuity.  I think I can replicate that although  some critical dimensions would helpful,but once I have the cover from Nigel  I will be able to have a good guesstimate. At least with copper pipe I could have a couple of retries to get it optimal.

I think Simon has the "official" Pilgrim Frame but he seems unimpressed by the quality.
It great that yours clears the rollbar, positioning of the frame mount is clearly critical. 

The pictures have helped loads and I will understand if you don't have time to reply to any more questions. If you have time that would be great. What did you do for the head rail? I am wondering about buying parts for a BN7 to see if it fits or can be adapted. I am also interested in the positioning of the clips on the car body.

Loved your tag line, so tried to add my own , lets see if it works.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 07:57:58 PM by jon3000 »

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 08:17:44 PM »
That cover looks the same as the one I have, it has the Velcro bit at the back

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »
More photos

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 09:43:17 PM »
For those following the thread, Nigel is sending me the hood cover in the images. Thanks Nigel. I am looking at making my own frame, perhaps from aluminium tube as it is cheaper and I think it might be stronger, than copper, but I think I can still bend it with simple tools. 

Attached is an image from  Youtube video, which shows some rear hood clips, these are not the "lift the dot type" as far as I can tell they are intended to work with a metal plate. looking at https://www.ahspares.co.uk/big-healey/hoods-tonneaus/ On the image from AH Spares they are item 37A, the plate is 35. Does anyone know how this works?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:55:12 PM by jon3000 »