Author Topic: ETB Speedometer seems to have stopped working  (Read 1160 times)

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
ETB Speedometer seems to have stopped working
« on: October 09, 2020, 06:14:26 PM »
My speedometer circa 2002 has stopped working, the LCD Odometer display was working a few days ago, so I was suprised when I notice it was not working any longer. When power is applied the I hear the high pitched sound it makes, and see the needle flick but no sign of any other life after.

I am still blocked in the garage so can't test the speed reading my assumption is that this is something inside nothing to do with the sensor. I had a look online £180 for a replacement, whilst it is now 18 years old due to the low mileage it feels like I should not need to do so.

I am considering opening it up this evening.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:49:05 PM by jon3000 »

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
Re: ETB Speedometer seems to have stopped working
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 06:41:23 PM »
It is only driven by a pulse from the gear box can you put a star shaped bit of metal in a drill and put it in front of the pick up? Only needs something thin even a bean can with slots should do it. I have the same make Speedo 20years old, I don’t hear a sound but that could be because of tinnitus or just deafness
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:25:55 PM by Nigel Haldane »
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 08:48:32 PM »
Hi Nigel,
I found they still have the instructions for the MK2 Speedo on the ETB website, I should have some of this stuff somewhere but can't find it just now. I recall propping the car up and driving "at speed" in my sideway nearly 20 years ago to try and get the sensor setup appropriately. Possibly that's also how i got my initial calibration!

The high pitch sound may be something else nearby I recall hearing it often with the key on, I am about now explore the speedo, to see if it opens.

This will teach me, I was waiting for a few parts to fix the few outstanding minor issues. It felt almost MOT ready. I have been working on some of the tidying up tasks, like exploring what is needed to make the radio sound better, making brackets to secure the steering cowel better, mounting the immobilizer pickup coil in as less of a lash up, all the trivia that you only do when its all working. Afterward I found the odometer LCD is no longer working and another water leak.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 05:00:59 PM »
Well I found the only sensible way in was the bezel, which comes off easier than I anticipated, I used a medium sized flat screwdriver, which I ran around the edge opening up the back of the bezel a little. The main chips in it are "special" and I could not get any data on whats going on. Although I checked the LCD connections back to the chip.

The number sometimes come on briefly just after turn on or on at turn off. Then I am getting period of it functioning normally I think the LCD is fine  and that the fault is elsewhere, and is actively blanking. The speedometer seems to be working although I recall seeing the speedometer move around a little a few days ago. The soldering inside looked pretty good no obvious problems but after resoldering it seemed to be OK. However, after a few minutes in the car the problem returned so  I think it will need replacing or professional repair.

I could see no mention of repairs on the ETB website, however the last question on the FAQ implied that they might, so now wonder if they would repair it after I opened it. May resolder it in the office where I have better facilities for that and cleaning the board, before I call them, or perhaps just but a new one.

Regarding the sound, yes the Speedo is the source of the high pitched sound, it comes from the mechanical parts as there is a servo system, in effect it is a tiny speaker. Mine has always made this high(ish) pitched sounds sound  when powered.

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 10:46:11 PM »
Sounds good getting somewhere. I don’t think they will check it on the mot.
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

simon3000

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »
think it may be a common etb fault.mine is the same.2003ish.speedo works but the display is dead,makes recalibrating impossible.i have a hunch damp has affected the electrics

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 10:32:37 PM »
Yes not sure what the problem is, I don't think its a  bad joint. For the moment I have given up on it. I may tinker with it more over the next few weeks for interest.  So if I figure it out I will let you know.

It was unclear to me if it an MOT fail, so I ordered a new one as I am keen to do the MOT soon.  On another kit car forum they were talking about this issue too, apparently warming it up might help drive out the moisture for a little while. I will put it in an oven at about 50C if it seems to work I can investigate which out component is being affected by damp, perhaps careful conformal coating (immediately after drying session may be the answer).

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 08:25:13 PM »
Well you got me thinking, I used a heater to keep the speedo somewhere in the 50-70 C range for 15-20 mins, the display started working. It is still working this evening.

FYI I got from it the pulse count per mile it has currently, 45680. It would be a good place to start for a 3000 using the inductive sensor and the Pilgrim sensor disc. I imagine it may stop working once the moisture gets back in. I assume that carefully sealing some of the components with varnish will slow down the moisture ingress.

I nearly forgot, if you heat electronics to drive out moisture, never go above about 70C you do not want to risk boiling of the moisture as it may cause the chips or the board to crack, burst or  de-laminate as steam comes out, just go slowly and drive the moisture out slowly.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:34:48 PM by jon3000 »

simon3000

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 08:41:58 PM »
my display hasn't worked for a number of years.mot is no problem and insurers are helpful and haven't worried about it.as im using a granada engine and box i have used the ford electronic speed sender that was fitted to the box.no idea of the pulse count but works well

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 09:24:54 PM »
I have an MOT booked for Wednesday. The original speedo/odometer is currently working after the heat treatment. So I will put it back in for the test. I plan to conformal coat it at some point. Currently the dash is out of the car due to my working on minor upgrades. I am waiting for a crimp tool before I can finish the job fully and will probably end up putting it back together with the upgrades only part done.

I have added a few Lucas switches to the dash and got rid of a crappy rear foglight switch which I hate,as it was added as a bit an after thought. The other switch will turn on the heater, and will move the heater switch to a more prominent position, all this is triggered by the need to find a suitable location for the new hazard switch.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 11:15:23 PM »
To quote Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it", I put the speedo back in the car, and the sensor had stopped working! Infinite impedance, I understand it should be about 270 Ohms. It was working before, albeit I only got to drive less a hundred feet, back and forth a couple of times. Fortunately I ordered a new (expensive sensor from ETB) which arrived today. I fitted it this evening and I appear to be back in business. The new sensor reads about 1K Ohms and  is a different but compatible type.

Due to this development I put the MOT off until Friday, which should be more convenient in any case.

jon3000

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 05:21:44 PM »
I can confirm that the speedometer issues are humidity.It appears  to be design flaw with this rev 2 speedo .When I checked the speedo today I could see Odometer was blank again, repeating a heat treatment solved the issue again. At some point  I plan to conformal coat the electronics as a longer term fix.