Author Topic: Logbook for Bulldog Marina Based  (Read 522 times)

Bullbog

• Pilgrim
  • Pilgrim Owner
Logbook for Bulldog Marina Based
« on: February 16, 2021, 07:22:08 PM »
I have a bulldog but I don’t have a logbook as the vehicle does not have a reg number.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get a log book for this vehicle.

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
Re: Logbook for Bulldog Marina Based
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 07:57:57 PM »
Has it ever been registered?
Have you got any detail of the vehicle that the engine, gearbox came from?
If not you may have to go through SVA
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »
If your car has never been registered then you will have to have it IVA tested, which will be some task unless it was built with the IVA in mind. Has it ever been on the road? I am guessing here, have you just acquired it?
It is not impossible to get a car that was never designed to pass that test but it is difficult and time consuming changing the many parts that will fail the test. I have built a Pilgrim Hawthorn to pass the SVA test - the fore-runner of the IVA test - just to prove it can be done, but if you choose to undertake the task, obtain the manual first and spend a few weeks reading and re-reading it until you understand exactly what you are letting yourself in for.
Ian Streatfield, SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »
I hope you take up the challenge. I wish you success with the IVA test, I did its predecessor the SVA test for my 3000 kit in 2004, so I am out of date but I believe the IVA is not hugely different. It may seem daunting but don't be put off. As Ian says read the IVA manual lots of times to take it in, it will make you understand the alterations that you will need to make, and will save you money and time in the long run. The thing about kit cars is that you spend can a lot of time doing things over if you don't think through all the implications of changes. To give you an idea of the content it covers things like

The height of all the lights, the spacing of lights.
Mandatory lights rear fogs etc
Curves of all the external features.
Design of Mirrors and position
Protrusion and design of door/boot handles,Hinges,
Wheel being inside the body
Cockpit switches
cockpit instrument lights markings
curves and protrusion on the dashboard
Security of the cable loom

Whilst I painted my my car before the SVA, I would advise against it because if you did end up making any alterations to the car for the test it would make it more difficult .

I urge you to take on the challenge, the reward of doing so is amazing,  I had to go for the retest after failing on some points but it was an amazing high driving home, at least it was until my brake caliper seized on the way home!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:43:42 AM by jon3000 »

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 12:25:38 PM »
Just for the record, I have just been speaking to John about this problem, and he is in possession of the log book of the original donor car, together with a set of number plates which the car was driven around on for several years, so there is a chance that we can hope that the DVLA will look kindly upon this particular case and issue a new V5C in the name of the current owner, and possibly showing the car as a Bulldog. John has spent the last (covid) year refurbishing the car (body off!) with no knowledge of the technical requirements of the IVA test, so there is little or no chance it could pass the test without modification. I know that the DVLA had an amnesty for kit cars that were not correctly registered, which is long gone, but there must be so few kit-cars our there now that are wrongly registered that getting one off that list and correctly registered must be something that they might well want to do? John has already spoken to the DVLA and they want to see a few forms filled in. Anyway I am going to help John on this path for now and see what happens. Nothing to loose and everything to gain I think. Wish us luck! Anything to prove that the car was used on the road would be helpful, so if anyone has any pictures of BKF 738K at a show, or anywhere come to think of it, or remembers the original owner/builder John Thomas (yes I know) who hailed from Liverpool please let me know.
Lunchtime meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 12:30 onwards.

Tom Burton

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
  • such a nice man
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 10:19:02 AM »
Any chance of a write up on the outcome of this?
Tom & his Toy
aka Chairman Tom

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 12:08:50 PM »
Last I heard the car has an age related number from dvla.

jon3000

• Veteran
  • Pilgrim 3000 Owner /Builder
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 08:23:36 PM »
That's good to know,

That a great outcome, its sad how many kit cars are out their which may never make it to the open road due to paperwork issues

Regards Jon

Daz

• Pilgrim
  • Pilgrim Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 04:47:39 PM »
Hi  I know this is an old post but my new to me bulldog turns out to be registered as a 79 marina. Can anyone advise how the original poster solved their issue? Thanks

istreatf

• Administrator
  • Breeder
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 10:37:12 AM »
Hi Darren - I have replied to you by email.