Author Topic: home made hardtop!  (Read 3475 times)

hal 1

• Full Club Member
  • Veteran
home made hardtop!
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
I was going to call this thread "not another b****y hardtop " but thought that might put people off, after all i do seem to be quite keen on these things   ;D
but home made ? i'm sure people will be curious, at least you are !

I've not been driving for a couple of years now so had to fill my time in somehow, i wouldn't actually go and buy a hardtop even if they were reasonably priced, it's just that i thought i'd like to have a go at making one, plus would a bought one have a heated rear screen ? i think not.

I've already been asked to supply another so a mould will probably be made, who knows i might even do a coupe style  8) opening rear hatch, who knows ?
Anyway what do you think ? all opinions welcome, good or otherwise.

Roy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:27:21 PM by hal 1 »

Roger 3OOO

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
  • The BIG H
    • Wessex Kit Car Club
Re: home made hardtop!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »
Very good!

How much are you selling them for???

Roger
I'm unhappy about my carbon footprint - I want a bigger one!

Nigel Haldane

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »
Looks shiner than mine I just can't get round to do it, must get my finger out and finish it off. Pictures soon
Nigel Barnicle Midlands Area rep,
Midlands meeting, Please contact me and we can arrange something.

hal 1

• Full Club Member
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »
Hi Roger, prices haven't been finalised yet, once the production line is operational and we're up to speed i'll let you know  ;D

jigsaw

• Full Club Member
  • Breeder
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »
looking good Roy i would have liked to have seen the progress that you  used to make it did you do it from scratch ?.

hal 1

• Full Club Member
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »
Hi All

Yes i made it from scratch, used all sorts of bits and pieces, scrap timber that i'd kept " just in case " hardboard etc, and i'd bought some expanded foam blocks and some cans of same along with resin and matt etc, the final filler coat i actually did with polyfilla ! ( much easier to sand ) this meant that i had to cover that with some cling film, which left slight marks in the mould / next top, these were rubbed down and made good.
It was a long process but i had all the time i needed.

When i do eventually make a new mould if anyone wants one as long as i cover the cost of it then i'm happy,
'IF' it happens then it would have to be sure to fit anyone else's car before it was made and there would also be a degree of finishing required by the owner.

BTW the rear screen came off a Mazda MX5 soft top.

I'll find the pics i took and post some here.

Roy