pilgrim-cars.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Bug fixed on the new  Board available for you to show off pictures of your car
3469 Posts in 682 Topics by 344 Members
Latest Member: MichaelG
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  pilgrim-cars.com
|-+  Discussions
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  pilgrim bulldog engines
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: pilgrim bulldog engines  (Read 3500 times)
dave
Full Club Member
Pilgrim

« on: October 15, 2008, 06:41:17 PM »

Hi.
can anybody help?
i have recently purchased a mk2 bulldog in need of restoration, it has a 1300cc marina engine in which is not very healthy, and i would like to upgrade to a larger engine.
can anyone tell me if an 1800cc marina engine would be an easy upgrade or possibly an mgb engine and gear box as there seems to be alot more of these about.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers dave
pccthebreed
Global Moderator
Breeder

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »

Dave,
The 1800 Marina engine should drop straight in and I know of several that have MGB engines but whether they drop straight in or not I don't know. I have a feeling they might.
Keith

Keith Barnes
istreatf
Administrator
Breeder

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:04:45 PM »

You should find two sets of engine mountings on the chassis, one for the "A" series and the other for the "B" series engine, and the Marina 1800 SC, TC and MGB engine will fit in with little or no modification provided the chassis has the mountings. I do not recall seeing any Mk 2's without both sets so you should be OK. The Marina 1300 and 1800 gearboxes are the same, but the bellhousings are different, so get a matching set. I don't know whether the MGB gearbox will fit, but I expect so. The rear section of the Marina exhaust systems are the same, but you will need a new front section from manifold to front silencer. I don't know about the MGB exhaust system. You will find that the rear axle ratio of the 1300 is too high for the 1800 and you will have acceleration to die for but no cruising speed - motorways and fast A roads wiill be a nightmare, as will your fuel consumption, so get yourself a Marina 1800 diff or whole rear axle as well. If you find an overdrive unit you will have to make up new gearbox rear mounting and have the prop shaft shortened and balanced.
You will need to swap the speedo head as well so that you don't collect those nice points on your licence.
Cooling systems are the same, as are front suspension and brakes, so no changes needed for the extra weight/power.
Apart from that lot it is a straight swap! And don't forget to tell the DVLA and your insurance company. The 1800 lump is a fair bit heavier than the 1300 so the handling will change a bit.
If you do decide to hang on to the 1300 engine and rebuild it (not a bad idea in my view) there is a plentiful supply of tuning and rebuilding parts to make it just as quick as an 1800 'dog (bearing in mind the 50kgs weight bonus of the lighter engine) from the classic mini market. Have a look at my hintsntips for what I have done to mine.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:21:55 AM by istreatf » Logged

Ian Streatfield, PCC Events Organiser and SE London and N Kent Area Rep.
Meetings on 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Crown, Shoreham High Street, Kent from 7:30 onwards.
andywingham
Pilgrim

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 07:27:23 PM »

HI dave,
I have an MGB 1800 engine in my Hawthorn, with Marina gearbox. You have to change the backplate and spigot bearing on the mgb lump, and use the marina flywheel and clutch to fit in the bellhousing.
Andy Wingham
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: